The Simple Payment Service (SPS) is a payment platform specifically designed for conducting credit card transactions in a mobile friendly way.
SPS allows a Merchant to initiate a Credit Card transaction via SMS, using any Internet connected device.
SPS requires minimal infrastructure to operate:
- Merchant’s simply require an internet connected device capable of operating a web browser in order to initiate a transaction.
- Credit Card Holder (CCH) completes the transaction on their own smartphone.
- An ‘SMS’ text message containing a secure and unique link which allows the ‘CCH’ to conduct their transaction directly with a certified secure and trusted payment service provider (Cardgate.Net) without ever exposing their credit card details
SPS does not require a payment terminal and can either be used in a stand alone form or integrated directly into your transaction software via an API (Application Program Interface).
Features and Benefits
For the Merchant:
- No payment terminal required, only a web enabled mobile device or PC with internet connection (fixed or mobile).
- Merchant only requires a mobile phone number to initiate the payment.
- The Merchant retains the ‘CCH’ mobile number in case further contact is required or potential for marketing activities. (T&C’s required).
- Merchant never sees, handles or stores the ‘CCH’ card details mitigating privacy record retention risks.
- Transactions are securely conducted using the services of a full certified ‘PCI-DSS‘, trusted payment providers (Cardgate.net)
For the Credit Card Holder:
- Payment utilises the ‘CCH's’ own web enabled smartphone or SIM enabled mobile device.
- 'CCH’ interacts directly with a certified and trusted payment service provider. (Cardgate.Net)
- Unique encrypted transaction link allows the ‘CCH’ to securely enter their card details directly with the payment service provider.
- Once complete the link provides the ‘CCH’ access to their transaction receipt information.
- ‘CCH’ never reveals their card details to Merchant only a mobile phone number.
SPS can be used to:
- Directly process credit card payments for a defined amount set by the Merchant.
- Pre-authorised payments which can be closed at some later stage at some lesser amount.
- Notify a CCH to process a payment or pre-payment (pre-authorisation) at some future scheduled date.
The SPS API (Application Program Interface) version is used to Integrates SPS payments into software products including Kiosk and Vending machines
No Special Terminal Required
A key feature of SPS is that no special payment terminal is required by the Merchant, as theMerchant does not require the CCH Credit Card, only their Smartphone mobile phonenumber.
- The CCH enter their own Credit Card details on their own secure Smartphone
- This also means that any Internet connected mobile device can be used to process credit card payments
Who Would Use SPS?
- Any field services / sales organisation that needs to take payments out in the field.
- Any Merchants that takes bookings. SPS can be used obtain pre-payments before the service is delivered.
- Mail Order/Telephone Order (Moto) Merchants, only need to collect mobile phone numbers to facilitate payments.
- Any Merchants that have any unknown variable transactaction that cannot be processed until the end of the transaction.
- By using UMD.SPS the merchant is able to reduce the potential risk of non-payment associated with the advanced preparation of goods and services e.g. phone orders.
- Pre-authorisation means, the Merchant is able to validate and reserve payment, prior to preparing or delivering goods and services to the Cardholder.
- For variable amounts Merchants can finalise the transaction, once the full details are known, without further friction to the Cardholder.
- ‘SPS’ also helps to reduce the risk to the cardholder by;
- Using the cardholder’s own smart device and preventing their details being exposed.
- The smart device connects to an independent security certified payment service provider (merchant never sees the Credit Card)
- The cardholder’s details are optionally stored on their own personal device. e.g. e-wallets for future transactions.
The Purpose of UMS.SPS is to:
- Reduce the risk of non-payments for goods and service prepared in advance by a merchant.
- Remove the need for a separate certified payment terminal.
- Support the trend in the financial payment market, towards "B.Y.O. Device“.
- The Simply Payment Service ‘SPS’ is designed to utilise existing, trusted and reliable infrastructure to conduct the payment over.
- While the SPS system utilises the cardholder's own smart phone, it does not require the cardholder to download and install any specialised application on to their device.
- Rather it utilise in built applications such as;
- web browser, SMS messaging & password vault.
The technology implemented for SPS allows the merchant to either:
- Operate the system on basic infrastructure completely independently from a POS system, or
- Integrated the UMD.SPS directly into the POS depending on their requirements.
UMD.SPS comprises of the following components;
- The SPS cloud service which provides the business logic and web portals for the merchant to enter transaction details.
- Cardgate.net Payment Service Provider for secure credit card transaction processing
- A merchant Facility with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (note you do not need to bank with the CBA), &
- An Optional Electronic Voucher Terminals ('EVT') for stand alone operation or seamless integration into a POS System.
Typical Work Flow